Volunteering with Compassus is a rewarding way to enhance the lives of hospice patients and their families. You'll find companionship with fellow volunteers and joy in serving others.
A volunteer coordinator works directly with you to identify opportunities to match your goals and abilities. Some volunteers choose direct patient support while others work behind the scenes at the office or with the hospice team. All volunteers receive free training at a local office.
In the Volunteer orientation, you will learn about:
- The goals and philosophy of hospice care
- The physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of death and dying
- Listening and communication skills
- Patient and family rights
- Professional Boundaries
- Family relationships
- Grief and Loss
- Spiritual and cultural diversity
- Patient confidentiality
After completing training, volunteers determine the time they commit to service. Whether you give two hours a month or six hours a week, all efforts are appreciated and needed. Compassus will work around your schedule.
The qualities of an effective hospice volunteer
- Good listener
- Empathy and openness
- Willingness to serve, whether directly with families or behind the scenes