Each day, hospice volunteers touch the lives of our patients and their families. Whether providing companionship to a patient, offering caregiver relief, or preparing a light meal, each gesture makes a meaningful impact on those we serve.
Whether you volunteer behind the scenes at the office or one-on-one with patients and families, you are a valuable member of our hospice team. All volunteers receive free training at a local office.
In the Volunteer Orientation, you will learn about:
- The goals and philosophy of hospice care
- The physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of death and dying
- Listening and communication skills
- Patient and family rights
- Professional Boundaries
- Family relationships
- Grief and Loss
- Spiritual and cultural diversity
- Patient confidentiality
After completing training, volunteers determine the time they commit to service. Whether you give two hours a month or six hours a week, all efforts are appreciated and needed. Compassus will work around your schedule.
The qualities of an effective hospice volunteer
- Good listener
- Empathy and openness
- Willingness to serve, whether directly with families or behind the scenes