The FAST Scale for Dementia, also known as the Reisberg Functional Assessment Staging Scale. Copyright 1984 by Barry Reisberg, M.D.
1. No difficulty either subjectively or objectively.
2. Complains of forgetting location of objects. Subjective word finding difficulties.
3. Decreased job functioning evident to co-workers. Difficulty in traveling to new locations. Decreased organizational capacity. *
4. Decreased ability to perform complex tasks, e.g., planning dinner for guests, handling. personal finances (such as forgetting to pay bills), difficulty marketing, etc.
5. Requires assistance in choosing proper clothing to wear for the day, season, or occasion, e.g., patient may wear the same clothing repeatedly, unless supervised. *
6a. Improperly putting on clothes without assistance or prompting (e.g., may put street
clothes on overnight clothes, or put shoes on wrong feet, or have difficulty buttoning
clothing) occasionally or more frequently over the past weeks. *
6b. Unable to bathe properly (e.g., difficulty adjusting bathwater temp.) occasionally or
more frequently over the past weeks. *
6c. Inability to handle mechanics of toileting (e.g., forgets to flush the toilet, does not wipe properly or properly dispose of toilet tissue) occasionally or more frequently over the past weeks. *
6d. Urinary incontinence occasionally or more frequently over the past weeks. *
6e. Fecal incontinence occasionally or more frequently over the past weeks. *
7a. Ability to speak limited to approximately a half-dozen intelligible different words or
fewer in the course of an average day or in the course of an intensive interview.
7b. Speech ability is limited to the use of a single intelligible word in an average day or in
the course of an intensive interview (the person may repeat the word over and over).
7c. Ambulatory ability is lost (cannot walk without personal assistance).
7d. Cannot sit up without assistance.
7e. Loss of ability to smile.
7f. Loss of ability to hold head up independently.
* Scored primarily on the basis of information obtained from knowledgeable informant.
- FAST scale (PDF, 220 KB) (downloadable one-page PDF)
- Global Deterioration Scale (GDS) - Assessing primary degenerative dementia
- Brief Cognitive Rating Scale (PDF, 130 KB) (BCRS)
- Pain Assessment in Advanced Dementia (PAINAD) (PDF, 60 KB) scoring
- Hospice eligibility criteria for dementia
- Secure online referral form