The Compassus Veteran-to-Veteran Volunteer Program aims to pair veteran volunteers with hospice patients who once served in the U.S. military.
Veterans are part of a distinct culture, with their own common language and experience, so veteran volunteers have the unique ability to connect with patients who share military experience. Strong bonds are created and the resulting camaraderie is beneficial to all involved.
If you’re a veteran interested in helping veterans in hospice care, contact one of our local Compassus programs.
Activities for veteran volunteers include:
- Educate and assist patients in receiving veteran benefits.
- Reminisce and share life stories. The bonds between fellow veterans is a safe environment where the patient can express and release haunting memories.
- Provide transportation, if allowed.
- Assist in replacing lost medals.
- Take part in pinning ceremonies or distribute certificates for Veterans Day and other recognition events.