All volunteers receive training at a local office. We'll also request a background check.
- The goals and philosophy of hospice care
- The responsibilities and duties of caring for patients and their families
- The physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of death and dying
- Listening and communication skills
- Patient and family rights
- Family relationships
- Spiritual and cultural diversity
- Patient confidentiality
After completing training, volunteers determine the time they commit to service. Whether you give two hours a month or six hours a week, all efforts are appreciated and needed. Compassus will work around your schedule.
- A good listener
- Empathy and openess
- Willingness to serve, whether directly with families or behind the scenes.