The eligibility criteria contained within these pages are related to specific diagnoses that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has provided. Although these guidelines are limited to a select list of diagnoses for hospice benefit coverage it is not to be considered an all-inclusive list. In fact, any disease process in the terminal stage is appropriate for hospice care. Hospice appropriate individuals may exhibit some or all of the following:
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Progressive weight loss
- Deteriorating mental abilities
- Recurrent infections
- Overall decline in condition
- Individuals with an illness causing a limited life expectancy of 6 months or less, if the disease runs its normal course.
- Individuals who have chosen palliative care that focuses on symptom management rather than curative treatment
- Individuals who choose no extreme measures to sustain life
For determination of hospice care eligibility, please contact your local Compassus program for further clarification or to request an assessment.